Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Athletes & Examples: A Look Into the Responsibility of Public Figures like Jameis Winston

Looking back at my childhood, most of my "heroes" or "role models" growing up were athletes. Like most (average heighted) white males in America, I (unrealistically) dreamed of one day stepping out on some sort of field or court with millions of people watching as I was awarded an MVP trophy and a National Championship. The closest I got was watching my team win a Spring football game from the bench because of a pesky injury that wouldn't go away.

The older I've gotten the more and more I've realized that most college and professional athletes aren't really the kind of men I would want my little boy (should I ever be lucky enough to have one) looking up to. You can blame this on me being a Gators fan, but recent behavior from FSU Quarterback, Jameis Winston, has got me back thinking on the topic of athletes and the roles they should or should not play as role models to young people.

In case you are unaware, Winston was suspended this week from the FSU baseball team for shoplifting from a local grocery store. He was not arrested for stealing the almost $33.00 worth of groceries, but was cited by law enforcement. His punishment is community service and an indefinite suspension from the baseball team. This article isn't about whether or not Winston should be allowed to play collegiate sports anymore, but about whether or not society needs to do something to keep our young people from looking up to men like Winston.

Charles Barkley is famously quoted as saying "I am not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids." Another of my favorite Barkley gems is "I don't care what people think. People are stupid." As arrogant as these remarks from Barkley come across, they should encourage us to give the issue of athlete role models a second thought. It is not Barkley's job to raise our children. He got paid millions of dollars to play basketball, and although that may be something to admire, and work towards, I think we need to leave character development up to people who aren't big name athletes.

My challenge and conclusion on the matter is this. We can't sit by and let anyone set the example for the people we have influence over. Parents need to set the best example they can for their children. When parents aren't setting the best example for their kids to follow, other people in their direct line of contact need to step up and fill that void. I thank God for "famous people" like the Robertson (Duck Dynasty) family and Tim Tebow who are great role models, but I think that their influence and inspiration to the young people around us should pale in comparison to the impact that we make in the lives of young people around us. It will take work, it will take time, and it won't always be easy. But if we step up and lead the young people around us, maybe we can influence a generation of athletes who we don't have to worry about the example they set for those whom God has granted us influence over.

No comments:

Post a Comment